Planning on Moving Abroad?

If you are resident in Ireland in the year of moving and non-resident the following year, you can claim Split Year Relief in the year of moving abroad. This applies to employment income only.

Your income is taxed as standard as a resident up to the date of departure, and your employment income after this date is ignored for Irish tax.

Therefore, you receive a full year of tax credits even though you have only been resident here for part of the year!

Returning or Moving to Ireland?

The same applies if you are returning to Ireland from living abroad if you are going to be resident in Ireland for the following calendar year. Any foreign income you earned before returning and becoming tax resident again is not subject to Irish tax.

You will be able to benefit from a full year of tax credits.

An application is required by Revenue to apply for this treatment.

Why not read some of our previous blogs here

Should you have any queries on this issue, please contact us on 01 5397999 or